| GM Performance Parts 19166393 ZZ Crate Engine 427 Cubic Inches, 430 Horsepower
A modern interpretation of the legendary L88 427
Between 1967 and 1969, the alphanumeric designation that struck fear from Main Street to the drag strip was L88. It was the ultimate expression of Chevy’s Big-Block power, combining a rigid iron cylinder block with lightweight aluminum cylinder heads and a single four-barrel carburetor.
GM Performance Parts has recreated that classic Big-Block combination in the ZZ427/480, rated at 480 horsepower. Like the original, it features an iron block, forged steel crankshaft and high-flow aluminum cylinder heads. We’ve upgraded the camshaft from the original’s mechanical flat-tappetdesign to a more contemporary hydraulic roller, giving this 21st-century L88 modern drivability characteristics and a greater rev range. A lower 10.1:1 compression ratio makes it pump gas-friendly, too. The original L88, born in the time of leaded gasoline, had 12.5:1 compression.
The ZZ427/480 comes complete with high-flow oval-port heads, a highliftcamshaft (0.510-inch intake/0.540-inch exhaust), an aluminum intake manifold, 870-cfm Holley carburetor, an HEI distributor, aluminum water pump, balancer, spark plug wires and a 14-inch flexplate.
Whether you’re building a ’69 COPO Camaro resto-mod tribute, a modified mid-year Corvette or a street-tire class winner, the ZZ427/480 isthe heritage-inspired crate engine that delivers the performance that built the Big-Block’s legendary reputation.
• Due to crate fitment, the carburetor is shipped in a separate box and needs to be installed by an engine installer
• Requires addition of starter and fuel pump(not included)
• Clutch linkage bosses are drilled and tapped. When using cast-iron exhaust manifolds, lower head bolts may need to be replaced with bolts with shorter heads for clearance
• Comes with an internally balanced 14" automatic transmission flexplate; use flywheel P/N 12582964 and 11.5" clutch assembly for manual transmission applications
• Designed for pre-1976 street vehicles or any off-road vehicle
• Not intended for marine applications